Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons

From: Steffen Nurpmeso
Subject: Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2014 20:09:32 +0100

Carsten Kunze <address@hidden> wrote:
 |Steffen Nurpmeso <address@hidden> wrote:
 |> Well.  Why not restricting this by saying that a new conditional
 |> mode (don't nail me down onto it: .if @'LHS'RHS') is introduced
 |> where RHS (or LHS) is _not_ subject to token processing, but
 |> _only_ to regular expression matching, e.g.
 |>
 |>   .ds idea La terre est femme
 |>   .i[ef]re '\\*[idea]'^.*?terre.*' .tm cryptic cryptic tralla lalala
 |
 |Exactly.  Or the whole pattern could be a variable (containing \
 |the pattern).  But a mix of literal pattern and variables \
 |does not make sense.

Nah, doesn't sound sensiĀ ful what you say. : )
Anyway i for one will not come to this for a long long time given
the backlog of work i have, and my superficial knowledge of the
internals of groff.  I tend to believe Tadziu and Ralph.  Even
with a special expression prefix we would have find a way to
expand the left hand side (\*[idea]) to a plain string in order to
match that, _or_ create a regular expression aware node class in
order to use the normal matching mechanism that exists today, in
which case the RHS could also be variable -- but i wonder how
could that be done.  So as of today i think you're right, but
a node_list_to_string() and the above is the only thing i would
dare to implement in the near future; but as i said, i think
you are right.

--steffen