Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] condition: OR of two string comparisons
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2014 12:17:25 +0000

Hi Werner,

> > >     (Ex; expr )
>
> This is a nice idea and indeed a possible solution to the problem.
> However, I think it's probably too restricted to cover all aspects
> people were discussing here.
> After reading this thread I think the best solution is to define a new
> request, for example `.ifx' (`if' extended).  Then it would be
> straightforward to define a new, flexible syntax that is not hampered
> by backwards compatibility.

And .whilex?  If we've a new .ifx, which I think is a bit clunky, maybe
we should bear in mind having a .elif and .else too that don't need the
.ifx to be .iex.  (Or .elsif;  Python use elif, Perl elsif.  elsif at
least sounds like `else if'.)

Plumping for (E; expr) leaves control structures as a separate thing to
think about.

Cheers, Ralph.