Re: [Groff] UTP project - To what end?

From: Meg McRoberts
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP project - To what end?
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 20:37:13 -0700 (PDT)

> My thought, a couple of weeks ago, was "does the title
> 'Unix Text Processing' even apply anymore?" First, TeX
> and Lout exists & have their partisans. Second, groff
> has escaped the Un*x boundaries; there are Windows versions
> (both native and Cygwin) and MacOS X includes it (although
> at that point, it's really a straight Un*x app again).

Very true!  But actually, this is a good thing.  You can make
the original UTP available under the original title, then we
can give the rewritten book an updated title.

> But first things first. Before we can really do a good job
> of modernizing UTP, we need to get the text & markup
> finished. I'm hoping we don't all get so distracted by the
> future that we get bogged down in the present. :-) But once
> we finish reviving the original, everything is in play as
> far as I'm concerned -- including the title.

Very true!  But since it seems like you all have the UTP well
under control except for perhaps a little consistency edit at
the end, would anyone object if I started scratching on some
new stuff in parallel?  I have some ideas about where and how
to start but if those of you who have been playing in this space
longer want to make suggestions, I'd welcome them.

meg