RE: [Groff] Looking for a phonetic font

From: Ted Harding
Subject: RE: [Groff] Looking for a phonetic font
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 12:59:42 +0100 (BST)

On 09-Aug-00 baruchel wrote:
> Hi boys,
>
> I know it'snt the best place to ask this, but groff is my very family
> ;-)
>
> I am writing a big document, with at some places phonetic pronunciation
> of words (you know, those strange letters). I will need before two or
> three weeks to have found a font for it. Do you know one?

The best I have found are Hoekwater's XIPA fonts which you can find
on the CTAN TeX archive, somewhat obscurely buried at

ftp://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/tipa/beta0624/ps-type1/hoekwater/

where the file hoekwater.zip contains five "Adobe-Type-1" phonetic fonts:

XIPA10      Like Times Roman
XIPASl10    Like Times Italic
XIPAB10     Like Times Bold
XIPABX10    Similar to the preceding, but perceptibly and subtly different
XIPASS10    Sans-serif (like Helvetica)

Each font has 256 characters at encodings 0-255 (including 127 and 255).

They install cleanly using the groff mechanism. However, for such a
font (where the "groff name" you might want to give a character my
not be obvious) I install these with a null mapfile. This has the effect
that the groff font file gives "---" as the groff name for every
character, so that it can only be accessed with a \N sequence, e,g,
\N'195' for the thing that looks like a composite "dz". You can then,
at any later time, invent your own names for the things you need, e.g.

.char \[dz] \N'195'

(which I would do in a ".IPA" macro similar to the one I posted
earlier for small caps).

The procedure I use for installing such fonts (which is manual,
I don't trust scripts for these one-off jobs) is appended, customised
for a typical XIPA font.

Ted.
Procedure (using XIPA10 as an example):

1. Park the files in a safe directory.

2. Run

   pfbtops xipa10.pfb > xipa10.pfb

   thereby making an ASCII font file.

3. Look at this .pfa file and get the font /FullName which in this
   case is

   xipa10

   Note this down.

4. For this particular application, make yourself a null (empty)
   mapfile:

   touch null_mapfile

   (Normally, the mapfile gives pairs   PS-name  groff-name  but
   IPA is so nasty it's better to leave this issue aside at this stage).

5. Choose a name for the groff font file (which will go in devps).
   I just used

   XIPA10

   and similarly for the others; but you could choose IPA_TR, IPA_TI etc.

6. Now (here and below I'm using my own directory path to devps/ ; you use
   yours)

   afmtodit -d/usr/share/groff/font/devps/DESC \
        xips10.afm null_mapfile XIPA10

   (all on one line as indicated by the \ )

7. Copy XIPA10 to /usr/share/groff/font/devps/

8. Copy xipa10.pfa to /usr/share/groff/font/devps/

9. Edit /usr/share/groff/font/devps/download to add an entry

   xipa10    xipa10.pfa

   (using what you noted at (3))

10. Edit /usr/share/groff/font/devps/DESC as follows:

    a) increment the font-count by 1 (the number immediately after
       "fonts" in the line starting "fonts");
    b) append the fontfile-name XIPA10 to the list of fonts in the
       same line.

11. TEST IT!

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>