Re: [Groff] Looking for a phonetic font

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Looking for a phonetic font
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 15:05:56 +0100 (BST)

On 09-Aug-00 Peter Holtse wrote:
> University College, London, distribute a set of TrueType fonts
> developed by SIL (www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/fonts.htm) and
> (www.sil.org). Adobe sells a set of similar PostScript fonts
> with a different symbol mapping which is readily adaptable for
> groff use. I have enclosed a listing of the symbolic names we
> are using in our department to allow (relatively) easy switching
> between regular text and phonetic script.

The listing shows a total of 308 symbols (if I counted right).

The freely downloadable Hoekwater fonts I mentioned earlier have 255.

I have had a look at the fonts downloadable from the SIL website:
these have only 223 symbols, as far as I can see. Also, I found that
the SIL Type 1 fonts did not work completely after being installed
in groff (some symbols would not print). SIL also distribute a
sold version, but I have not looked at this.

>From the UCL website, I also inferred that the UCL fonts are for sale.

Are the extra (over and above 255) characters defined in separate
files? Are they available in Type-1 format?

Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 284 7749
Date: 09-Aug-00                                       Time: 15:05:56