Re: [Groff] Looking for a phonetic font

From: Peter Holtse
Subject: Re: [Groff] Looking for a phonetic font
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 13:57:53 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, baruchel wrote:

> Hi boys,
>
> I know it'snt the best place to ask this, but groff is my very family ;-)
>
> I am writing a big document, with at some places phonetic pronunciation of
> words (you know, those strange letters). I will need before two or three weeks
> to have found a font for it. Do you know one?

University College, London, distribute a set of TrueType fonts
developed by SIL (www.phon.ucl.ac.uk/home/wells/fonts.htm) and
(www.sil.org). Adobe sells a set of similar PostScript fonts
with a different symbol mapping which is readily adaptable for
groff use. I have enclosed a listing of the symbolic names we
are using in our department to allow (relatively) easy switching
between regular text and phonetic script.