gpsd-users

Re: Running gpsd outside systemd (was: Re: RINEX file unable to be proce

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Running gpsd outside systemd (was: Re: RINEX file unable to be processed)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 10:37:00 -0700

Yo David!

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 09:34:03 +0100
"David J Taylor" <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Using the Raspberry PI OS systemd is the standard, so it will be
> installed.

I think you mean Raspbian (Buster).  You have many other, non-systemd(umb)
OS options for the RasPi.

> When you say: "don't run gpsd under systemd", is it
> explained somewhere exactly how to do this?

Just delete the gpsd service files.

> How would gpsd get to be
> run as a service which starts when the RPi is booted, and which can
> be stopped and restarted,

Many do it, I'm not a systemd(umber) user, so I'll leave that answer for
others.  Also, no need to stop it, a reboot does that by default.  Or:
    killall gpsd

Does one really need a bunch of config files to do killall??

> for example.  What configuration files
> would be needed and where would they be placed.

That is the win, NO config files needed!  I never use any config files for
systemd(umbest).

On Gentoo all it takes is these two files:

    /etc/local.d/local.start:
    /usr/local/bin/gpsd -nG /dev/ttyS0

    /etc/local.d/local.stop:
    killall gpsd

> I'm quite happy to run gpsd outside systemd, I just don't know how to
> do this!

I hope some systemd(reck) person has some guidance, but it is so hard
to use that few know how to use it.  Thus the systemd(ung) problems
that plague you, and others.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588