gpsd-users

Re: RINEX file unable to be processed

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: RINEX file unable to be processed
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2020 19:28:14 +0100

Yo David!

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 09:24:05 +0100
"David J Taylor" <gm8arv@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Good news!  I could take my .ubx file and convert it into a .obs file
which processed correctly.  This with gpsrinex revision 831.

One issue  arose (and another for which I'll create a new thread).

On the first terminal I got a timeout:

pi@RasPi-23:~/RINEX $ gpsfake -1 -P 3000 4h-raw.ubx
Processing 4h-raw.ubx
Test timed out: maybe increase WRITE_PAD (= 0.0)

And it told you to set WRITE_PAD.  Did you do that?  Like this:

export WRITE_PAD=0.005

That is documented, a known annoyance.

On the second I pressed ^C a little after I saw the error on the
first:

pi@RasPi-23:~/RINEX $ gpsrinex -i 30 -n 1000000 :3000
INFO: server: localhost port: 3000  device: Default
^C

No need to do that.  What did you expect to happen?

Is there anything I need to do to fix this?

Which of the above is "this"?  The first is fixed by WRITE_PAD, the
second is self induced.

RGDS
GARY

Thanks, Gary.

The error message "maybe increase WRITE_PAD (= 0.0)" gives me no hint whatsoever how to fix it. For all I know it may have required recompiling with a different setting, so thanks for the clue! Perhaps add that to the Web page?

The gpsrinex command didn't appear to terminate for some time after the gpsfake command completed. As this is the first time I have ever run gpsfake I had no idea whether it had hung or what. As the gpsfake command had produced an error message, and the gpsrinex appeared to be hung, I used ^C. How long should I have waited?

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@blueyonder.co.uk