gpsd-users

Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.

From: Paul Theodoropoulos
Subject: Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 13:46:47 -0700

On 6/15/2020 13:20 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Paul!

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 12:58:48 -0700
Paul Theodoropoulos via <gpsd-users@nongnu.org> wrote:

Purely an academic exercise, since the size of a startup file is
about as meaningful as uptime boasts, this is the shortest functional
startup file I could create, three lines:
Academic?  Simplicity is academic?

Well, if simplicity is the only goal, then just delete gpsd, and put

server 0.pool.ntp.org

in your ntp.conf and walk away. I don't care.

[Service]
Type=forking
ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n -r -P /run/gpsd.pid /dev/gpsd0
I assume other incantations required to make that work.
You assume incorrectly. That is a fully functional gpsd.service file.

  I assume another
one is required for ntpd?
Why yes, a separate daemon gets a separate startup file. So what?

Adding that to the doc, with explanations, would be useful to some.

I said it was an academic exercise, since you're boasting about how awesome your tiny startup files are.

--
Paul Theodoropoulos
www.anastrophe.com