gpsd-users

Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: Installing 3.20 gpsd from source on Raspberry Pi cards old and new.
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2020 15:02:20 -0700

Yo Paul!

On Mon, 15 Jun 2020 13:48:51 -0700
Paul Theodoropoulos via <gpsd-users@nongnu.org> wrote:

> On 6/15/2020 13:26 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > Sorry, I confused -r with "read-only" which is is not.  -r is
> > the "bad time" option for when you want gpsd to lie to ntpd.  Not
> > a good idea.
>
> Oh really? So, that option is a bad idea.

Was the name "badtime" a clue?

> Why is it there then?

It is useful in a few very specific cases.  Documented on the man page.
Hard to help those that don't RTFM.

gpsd strive to be simple to use, but flexible enough for those wit
special needs.

> Wouldn't it SIMPLIFY gpsd if you removed it, since it's "not a good
> idea" to use it?

Ah, wait, you are the one that used it.

I can't figure out how to make "badtime" simpler to understand.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588