gpsd-users

Re: Illegal instruction....

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: Illegal instruction....
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 11:44:07 +0100

From: Martin Burnicki
[]
This really sounds like the problem occurs when some initialization code
of the GPS library is called, but the library has been compiled for a
different ARM CPU version.

So it's something to do the the gps linked library.  I wonder which one
of these it might be:

pi@raspi-3:~ $ sudo find / -name gps
/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/gps
/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gps
/home/pi/gpsd/contrib/gps
/home/pi/gpsd/tests/gps
/home/pi/gpsd/gps
/home/pi/gpsd/devtools/gps

I feel like I'm getting somewhere now!

the compiler option -lgps assumes that the base name of the library file
is prepended by "lib", so you have to search for a file libgps*, and you
have to put the search name in quotation marks, i.e.:

sudo find / -name "libgps*"

The search may return real binary files, and some symbolic links.

Run the 'file' command against the binary file(s) and compare the output
to the output of the 'file' command run against your test program or
other standard programs in /usr/bin/.

I'd expect the result for the library file should be somewhat different.

Martin

Martin,

Yes, there is a difference, but it's very slight - the words "pie executable" in included in the description, rather than "executable":

pi@raspi-3:~/gpsd $ sudo file /bin/tar
/bin/tar: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-armhf.so.3, for GNU/Linux 3.2.0, BuildID[sha1]=53533d506171c559ad7c50eecf27e585e511040f, stripped

pi@raspi-3:~/gpsd $ file /usr/local/lib/libgps.so.27.0.0
/usr/local/lib/libgps.so.27.0.0: ELF 32-bit LSB pie executable, ARM, EABI5 version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, BuildID[sha1]=758c80d49b842ca7a3581ba7f47b5fc16674ed90, stripped

pi@raspi-3:~/gpsd $ ls -l /usr/local/lib/libgps.so.27.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 105200 May 25 15:26 /usr/local/lib/libgps.so.27.0.0

The date and time of the file: /usr/local/lib/libgps.so.27.0.0 is exactly what I would expect from yesterday's build-from-source of gpsd. It would be interesting to know what the link options were for building the cgps yesterday which works. I wonder how to find that?

Cheers,
David
Web: https://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden