gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsrinex: collecting one 24h GPS-day?

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsrinex: collecting one 24h GPS-day?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2019 09:53:40 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Wed, 25 Sep 2019 12:36:31 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Collecting overlong and trimming seems more likely to get you what you
> want.

The important part is a time length that is modulo the GPS
orbits.  So 12h and 24h are the most accurate.

> Keep in mind that teqc is not open source, and is thus not portable.

It also does not hanlde RINEX 3.  So pass on teqc.

> But it seems almost certain that
> there will be tools to munge RINEX around, since so many need them.

Lots of good ones.  GPSTk, RTKLIB, etc.  But easiest to just capture the
data properly.

> (emacs might even work - I haven't tried.)

RINEX files have consistency records, getting them to match by hand is a
PITA.

> Also, it would be nice if gpsrinex could take a start time.

Just start it when you want it to start.  cron can do that nicely.

>  I am
> unclear on if "-i 30" lines up to gps times N, such that N % 30 is
> reliably 0.

Yes, many of the PPP services are old and crusty FORTRAN that fails if
that is not true.

> The man page doesn't say this, and I'm not sure you need
> it,

Yes, to both.

> but if you are OCD enough to want PPP (as you should be!),
> presumably you'd want everything to be as in order as nonhumanly
> possible, even if you're not sure exactly why :-)

PPP shows you a bunch of stuff that was not previously obvious..

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588