Re: [Gomp-discuss] Example openMP programs.

From: Pop Sébastian
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Example openMP programs.
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:26:22 +0100

On Fri, Feb 21, 2003 at 12:04:21PM +0100, Lars Segerlund wrote:

>  I was aiming at doing implementations of various strategies 'by hand'
> in order to find the complexities which has to be handled.

Sounds a good aproach for solving the code generation problem.
Thus you don't need an omp aware compiler to work on the lib.
You can transform (rewrite 'by hand') code containing omp directives
into a code with calls to the libgomp.  I think that the compiler
will insert these calls sooner or later using a similar algorithm.

I suggest you write these examples in a canonical form:
- code with pragmas: file_omp.c
- code with calls to libgomp: file_libgomp.c
or something similar.
We could reuse them as a test suite for code generation once we'll
have a compiler that generates code.

> >I'm awaiting a few hints from the compiler people in this list. We could
> >do lot of threading coding, but how do we integrate our routines in the
> >compiler?
We'll insert calls to libgomp.  You could write 'by hand' code that the
compiler will generate in a few months.

For the moment I work on the g++ parser and have a little idea of how to hack
the lexer in order to be able to generate tokens as suggested by Zack and
David:

#pragma foo bar baz

into

__builtin_pragma foo bar baz;

Once I have something that works I'll send a patch for collecting more
comments from GCC people.

Seb