Re: [Gomp-discuss] Decision about semaphores ..

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Decision about semaphores ..
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 15:18:57 +0100

It's not an option if we want to have fork/join's or not, they are explicitly specified in openMP. A semaphore is as good a join as youre going to get, ( compared to multiple waits ).

 But Ok, I get it POSIX.

 / Seger.

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
Biagio Lucini wrote:

My vote is for posix, for the reason you explain.

In a well-structured parallel program there must be as few as possible
fork/join. In an hyperideal case, you should just fork close to the
beginning and join right before the end. So I'm not concerned about this
overhead: part of it is down to the programer, the rest should be
negligible anyway.

I agree with Biago. A parallel program that contains too many fork/joins is
unlikely to perform effectively. In this case, I think portability (posix)
is most important.

..Scott