Re: [Gomp-discuss] Decision about semaphores ..

From: Biagio Lucini
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Decision about semaphores ..
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:26:57 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003, Lars Segerlund wrote:

>   I am trying to write some semaphores for the fork/join of threads, (
> more specificly the join ), and I have the decision on using primitives
> from POSIX threads, or an asm macro using native instructions in the
> target cpu to do atomic updates.
>
>   What is the opinion on this among you people ?

[...]

My vote is for posix, for the reason you explain.

>   It's just the overhead of the join and such that concerns me.

In a well-structured parallel program there must be as few as possible
fork/join. In an hyperideal case, you should just fork close to the
beginning and join right before the end. So I'm not concerned about this
overhead: part of it is down to the programer, the rest should be
negligible anyway.

Cheers
Biagio