[Gomp-discuss] Re: OpenMP, HPC, and the future of GCC

From: Neil Booth
Subject: [Gomp-discuss] Re: OpenMP, HPC, and the future of GCC
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 20:50:09 +0000

Scott Robert Ladd wrote:-

> Is GNU interested in supporting the HPC community? There are those of us
> willing to put in the work if there is reasonable expectation that the gcc
> "core" will accept it. But if HPC is going to be dismissed automatically, I
> don't see the point of making an effort to implement HPC features.

I'm making an effort with my parser, with no guarantee of acceptance,
simply because I want change badly enough.  If you want OMP badly
enough, you should be prepared to put effort in without a guarantee of
success.  The best way to get acceptance is to do it cleanly, and in
such a way that maintenance and performance of GCC is relatively
unaffected.

In my case I'm not sure I can do that, but I'm going to have a stab
anyway.  Something will always be rescuable from it even if it's not
accepted; maybe the intermediate representation, or parsing ideas,
or forcing performance improvements to match, or ....

Neil.