Re: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for the C frontend

From: Lars Segerlund
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for the C frontend
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 11:18:34 +0100

Steven Bosscher wrote:
Op ma 10-02-2003, om 09:48 schreef Lars Segerlund:

 Sounded worse when I read it myself :-( ... sorry  ...

I wouldn't have put it in such strong words ;-)

...[snip]...

Maybe one of the reasons for this is because people involved in GCC
development mostly are computer scientists, and that such people are not
well known for understanding computational scientists?

Here I would like to add a comment, computer scientists produce NO or shitty code with a few notable exeptions, ( IMHO ), what GNU has done the scientific community should have done long ago, also they dont understand SPEED, in all my experience with computers, anything that gives you more speed is good, it has NO relevance on which theoretical foundations it rests. Se the famous linux vs. minix debate, all thise CS's that said that micro kernels were the way to go are gone today, in the same way that AI people spent 30 years mumbling on computer chess when somebodu started counting moves, thus blowing the whole field and all their multi millon lisp machines away.

...[snip]...

And those numerical experts saw a trend: Everybody goes multi-processor!
So they identified a *need* for an easy-to-use interface to create
explicitly parallel software for people who are not computer
scientists.  OpenMP was born, and is now widely used and well
established.

Explicit parallellisation is hard to beat, and I think openMP looks fine, small, easy and common for the major languages that the scientific community use.

If GCC does not want to be useful in a hpc environment, that's fine. But I would like to hear that *before* we start an effort to implement
OpenMP in GCC.  If the GCC community has an attitude like, "just put it
in a branch and we'll see what we do with it," then I can think of more
important things that I actually should put time in.

Greetz
Steven

Now this I also fully agree with, on many 'open' projects you are ready to devote some time and make things better, and then people have 'opinions' on what to do and not to do and whats important, it makes you want to do something else, and generally you do.

You have to be nice to new people, strive for quality and speed, and most of all, code . If you don't code you don't count ! ( or in another way contribute with testing or so on ).

 Fact less debate is not constructive !

I have been following the gcc list and a long time complaint on gcc is that it's slow ! Now some of the new optimizations will take care of the generated code, but the scanning/parsing ? It gets worse, and the first thing you hear in the debate is often, no there is nothing wrong with X even when X has been benchmarked to cause the slowdown ?

All I want to say is really, that this group has the aim to extend gcc to handle parallellism, more specifically openMP, ( though I think we should keep the door open in the implementation ), in such a way as to have no impact on the regular gcc.

I don't think we have to consider 'opinions' if not expressed as the consensus of another team, I think we ned to get the code done.

Also, I think there already is a major interest in openMP, since articles have started appearing about the intel compiler.

So to sum it up, there is a standard, and a strong userbase of openMP in existance now, and interest will probably increase.

It's not likely to be liked by computer science people, ( neither is FORTRAN, C , C++ , Linux and so on ), and they are bound to do what they fdo best, which is complain if they remedied these problems by producing usable code it would be nice.

Sorry for being a bit negative, but I got really upset, also appologies to those who feel in any way offended, I don't want to start a flame, just to say that let's do what we set out to.

 / Lars Segerlund