Re: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for the C frontend

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for the C frontend
Date: 10 Feb 2003 08:37:33 +0100

Per Bothner wrote:
> David Edelsohn wrote:
> > Unfortunately, this is a public standard.
>
> There are all kinds of "public" standards.

Some public standards are supported by the major compiler vendors, some
are not.  OpenMP is one of those standards that *is* supported, probably
because it was designed by the compiler vendors (OpenMP Review Board
members: HP, Fujitsu, IBM, Intel, KAI, SGI, Sun, US Gov.(DEO))

> > Somehow we need to be compatible.
>
> "We" only need to be compatible if we make
> a comittment to implementing OpenMP.  I don't
> think we should make any comittment to accepting
> an OpenMP implementation in the offical CVS tree.

Why not?  What is wrong with accepting a much-requested feature, that is
implemented by most other serious compilers?  Any technical objections
apart from the #pragma/_Pragma() thing?

Greetz
Steven