RE: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for the C front end

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for the C front end
Date: 08 Feb 2003 14:21:27 +0100

Op za 08-02-2003, om 14:09 schreef Scott Robert Ladd:
> > Then we could focus our efforts on the C++ front-end that is ready.
> > Once the C-fe will be rewritten in rd form, we'll port the OMP
> > bits to C-fe.
>
> I don't really see a problem with implementing for C++ and porting to C.
>
> The only practical difference in OpenMP between C and C++ is in the
> necessity for the latter to construct private objects via copy constructor
> from the original object.

It's also very likely that people are more interested in OpenMP for C++
than for C.  I've never seen any serious numerical code in C, and lots
of them in C++.

OTOH, the First Principle in aeronautical engineering is "Don't put a
new airframe design around a new engine design", and I would think a
similair idea would apply to software engineering.  Maybe working on the
C++ parser on a subbranch of a branch, two steps away from the mailine
where all the patches for C++ are going to now, is not such a great
idea.

Note that C++ uses the same pragma handlers that C does (C++ uses
c-pragma.c).  Scott, did you find any differences in the
syntax/semantics of the OpenMP directives for C/C++?  If they are the
same, we would only need c-openmp.c, no need for a cp-open.mp.c :-)

Greetz
Steven