RE: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for theCfront end

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Re: Implementing OpenMP pragmas for theCfront end
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2003 09:33:36 -0500

Steven Bosscher wrote:
> I thought a big part of that was in IEEE arithmetic support, which GCC
> does not support (there are non-IEEE targets in GCC).  F95 has IEEE as
> an extension and a reworked version of it is part of F2k.

I'll clarify: C99 supports numeric features not available in stock Fortran
95 implementations. Fortran 200x is an entirely different (and extended)
kettle of fish, and is not (to my knowledge) approved at this time.

In addition to IEEE support, C99 adds intrinsic complex/imaginary numbers,
type-generic math functions, flexible array members, variable-length arrays,
some new forms of initialization. This page at the GCC site details the
state of C99 conformance in GCC (which is actually quite good):

http://gcc.gnu.org/c99status.html

And there exist many minor differences between C99 and C++, as in _Pragma
(C99) vs. #pragma (C++).

..Scott