RE: Supply Chain Spec Volunteer

From: Neil Tiffin
Subject: RE: Supply Chain Spec Volunteer
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 20:47:36 -0400

Jeff,

Using UML has been suggested for the past several years. We did not use it in the last incarnation because there was not a way to convert UML into something usable and I was not interested in doing everything twice (and no one else volunteered to do it either.)

I do believe that we will need a business persons view (prose functionality) of the system design. It does not matter to me which comes first. But it will be needed at some point.

The current packages do contain some base decisions that were the result of several people around the world. It would be good to build on that if possible. Probably 80% of the package stuff is just place holders, waiting for discussion that never occurred. That 80% can be ditched.

The main stuff that should be kept or should be built on is in the Base Package.

One other item that the last incarnation of the package specs had is that the documentation is built directly from the object definition and it was not possible for the system design, documentation, and objects to be different. I personally think this is highly desirable, but most of the others on the team did not really see this as a big deal and so no need to keep at this point.

Having been through this type design with large systems keep in mind that the work load will only get more onerous as the system grows and some organization and automation now, while not entirely necessary, will pay hugely in the near future.

Neil
address@hidden

Great, I've looked at the documents and will start downloading them.
Question: What format are the graphics in? I don't recognize the
extension...

Unless anyone has an objection, I think I would like to use a light UML
style to organize the requirements. That is, define the modules in terms of
objects ('actors' or whatever) with their properties, events and methods.

Jeff Childers