Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit
Date: Sun, 06 Oct 2013 09:34:24 -0400

Hi David !

I borrowed a C# book from the library last night. I want to learn C# but the real goal is to help me shore up my Vala. Vala and C# are so similar that it might not be so hard to create a code generator that emitted both C# and Vala.

If we are joining GNU this would provide an alternative to mono. it would be a bit weird to emit Vala though, as it in turn emits C but at least it would not have political issues.

I also borrowed a Java book.

I had to register at a site last night to access a Cobol to Java pdf that might have clues on how to emit Java. Now some sales person will be all over me on Monday.

I have uploaded it here so that others can avoid the fly-on-poo experience:

http://spellingbeewinnars.org/BPHX_Whitepaper-COBOL-to-Java-or-C-Automated-Translation.pdf

I haven't read it all yet but I see some problems already on how they represent level 88 fields.

C# appears to have a string method PadRight(), so somestring.PadRight(40) will add 37 spaces to "foo" after the final "o".

This might eliminate the need for memset and perhaps cobfield.

Javascript and Lua are so formless but they have tools built in for OO and many other constructs. It might be neat to have a structured, easy to read language act as a front end for them. I was just tinkering with 100 lines of Lua two nights ago and I was already losing track of it. Perhaps if this was ever to come-to-be, it could be designed in a modular way so that emissions were optional and people could just work on the languages they wanted to emit without getting tied up in the details of the rest of the project.

-Patrick