Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] Daydreaming about another language to emit
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2013 22:20:24 -0400

Hi Everyone

I returned my C# and Java books to the library today after I installed mono yesterday, 87Megs !

This huge monkey compiled without errors and then couldn't compile programs in it's own sample directory.

Maybe small is beautiful after all.

So again we don't have to change anything but just for fun...

What about Objective-C ?

It'd hideous with it's smalltalk inspired passing scheme but:

1)it only has a tiny runtime
2)It's not political, it's part of GCC
3)It's OO might simplify the codebase
4)It's growing in popularity quickly, it won't disappear any time soon
5)It's growing in popularity so it might be easier to find developers to contribute in the coming years, perhaps easier to find then C++ 6)It's a strict superset of C, everything already written is valid Objective-C too.

Just another idea to throw out there.....

-Patrick