Re: [open-cobol-list] solving my problem, helping others. JNI vs Boost

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] solving my problem, helping others. JNI vs Boost
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 10:35:55 -0400

Hi Brian

If C++ is not imminent should I maybe focus on user defined functions?

I could hack libcob, recompiling it with my own functions. Afterwards I could study Lua and Tcl to better understand how dynamic languages load external C libraries and then I could try to figure out how to do this without using a dynamic language with libcob. I wish Ada and Vala were not so large, The spec file/ vapi file thing would be good to study but it's beyond my competence right now.

I can also look at Java integration. Hitachi boasts about their Cobol compiler working with it, maybe it's a good thing for the whole community. I just need Sockets, RS232 and GPIB. If I can get the first two with Java then I better go for it. GPIB (general Purpose Interface Bus) is a 40 year old protocol just being phased out of the test and measurement/ Scientific instrument field. There is still likely a few billion dollars worth of used equipment floating around that uses this and a huge market to supply support as manufacturers drop support to force people to buy the same instrument that has ethernet.

Thanks for the libXML tip, I will look into this.

Rebol and Falcon both look interesting. You are so well versed in the "off brand" languages as well. Yep BF could have chosen a better name. Do you think it is a good piece of code to study in term of learning about interpreters?

I have read about Unicon and Icon and even printed the Icon manual. There is also spitbol for snobol and python and Lua implementations. I don't know if I will have time for it but it would be neat to have one for OC too.

Thanks again-Patrick