Re: [open-cobol-list] solving my problem, helping others. JNI vs Boost

From: Brian Tiffin
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] solving my problem, helping others. JNI vs Boost
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 18:41:02 -0400

On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:57:25 -0400, Patrick <address@hidden> wrote:

So my primary focus is controlling scientific instruments and processing
data from them.

I have struggled with my project, I probably should just do the whole
thing in C/C++, like almost everyone that does this  sort of thing does
but I don't really like these languages and love the clearer layout of
Cobol, Ada, Pascal, Fortran etc.

It's kinda weird, but you can almost think of OC programming as C programming when you want to.

As a quick for instance. This is the Makefile I used to test out FastCGI on Cygwin a few days ago.

myfcgi: myfcgi.cob
        cobc -x -C myfcgi.cob
        sed -i 's/#include <stdio.h>/#include <fcgi_stdio.h>/' myfcgi.c
        cobc -x myfcgi.c -lfcgi

cobc accepts .c filenames likka da butter

Plus, being built up around autotools, we win on that side of the development fence too.

With OC moving over to generating C++ code soon I am thinking about C++
again.

Ummm, don't expect cobc to be generating any C++ in the near future. It's a possibility, but it'll have implications that haven't been studied yet.

The underlying communication protocols I need to work with are Ethernet,
RS232 and GPIB and I want to do this in a cross platform way which is an
extremely tall order.

Boost has cross platform support for both sockets and serial ports.
There won't be cross platform GPIB  and I will need two or more separate
libraries for this.

Java also has libraries for sockets and Serial ports as does QT.

Does anyone have any feedback on the best approach for me and also what
would be best for the greater community?

For Java, I think straight up JNI integration is the way to go, and the intermediate tool of choice may well be SWIG.
www.swig.org

For ethernet and TCP/IP start with POSIX and work out from there. Then, find a common denominator for Windows. (Then cry that you can't because Microsoft is special and plays so well with others. Kidding, LCD library code can usually be found.)

For RS232 take a look at socat. http://www.dest-unreach.org/socat/ And a sample hint page for serial ports at http://technostuff.blogspot.ca/2008/10/some-useful-socat-commands.html (that was just the first one I found that mentioned socat and serial

For GPIB take a look at, ummm wait, what is GPIB?   ;-)

Cheers,
Brian

-Patrick