[open-cobol-list] solving my problem, helping others. JNI vs Boost

From: Patrick
Subject: [open-cobol-list] solving my problem, helping others. JNI vs Boost
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 17:57:25 -0400

So my primary focus is controlling scientific instruments and processing data from them.

I have struggled with my project, I probably should just do the whole thing in C/C++, like almost everyone that does this sort of thing does but I don't really like these languages and love the clearer layout of Cobol, Ada, Pascal, Fortran etc.

With OC moving over to generating C++ code soon I am thinking about C++ again.

The underlying communication protocols I need to work with are Ethernet, RS232 and GPIB and I want to do this in a cross platform way which is an extremely tall order.

Boost has cross platform support for both sockets and serial ports. There won't be cross platform GPIB and I will need two or more separate libraries for this.

Java also has libraries for sockets and Serial ports as does QT.

Does anyone have any feedback on the best approach for me and also what would be best for the greater community?

-Patrick