Re: [open-cobol-list] tree data, embedding a language or string interpol

From: Patrick
Subject: Re: [open-cobol-list] tree data, embedding a language or string interpolation?
Date: Sat, 16 Mar 2013 10:35:48 -0400

With openCOBOL there is a function called "substitute"

Move "This is my Title" To MyTitle.
Move Substitute(<title>  $title</title>  ,"$title",mytitle)         To
MyHtml.

So MyHtml should contain "<title>  This is my Title</title>

Other functions exclusive to openCOBOL that may also help with parsing
in general are:
Concatenate and Trim.

So if MyTitle is defined as Pic X(64), then you may want to:

Move "This is my Title" To MyTitle.
Move Substitute(<title>  $title</title>  ,"$title",Trim(mytitle))
To MyHtml.

Code examples require cobc -ffunctions-all

Use Concatenate to append MyHtml to your html output buffer.

Then
display Trim(htmlbuffer) *>  nulls are not trimmed.

Thanks Michael !

There is still so much I need to learn about Cobol. This looks very promising.

One thing I am still worried about. Is there a way around the 255 character limit? So for instance I might want to do something like this:

were the content being swapped in place of MyWriting is several page worth of text.

Is there a way to accomplish this?

Thanks again