gnuastro-devel

[task #15799] Add the autocomplete feature to gnuastro

From: Pedram Ashofteh Ardakani
Subject: [task #15799] Add the autocomplete feature to gnuastro
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 2021 03:32:29 -0500 (EST)

Follow-up Comment #9, task #15799 (project gnuastro):

Hi Mohammad. Speaking of portability, I stumbled upon the program:
_shellcheck_ <https://github.com/koalaman/shellcheck>. This program shows
warnings in case of any error or POSIX incompatibility. It looks like _arrays_
are not supported in POSIX. Is it OK if I use them in _autocompletion_ or
should I find a replacement? E.g. using _awk_, known shell workarounds, etc.

Also, there is a warning on _compgen_, a _bash_ built-in function for
_autocompletion_. I guess I can replace this too. I am just wondering _how
much_ should I worry about POSIX compatibility and  portability.

Your help always keeps me motivated and on track. Thanks in advance.

=== Helpful links ===

* You can install _flycheck_ to embed _shellcheck_ in _emacs_ from the _MELPA_
repository. A simple tutorial here
<http://skybert.net/emacs/bash-linting-in-emacs/>.

M-x package-install RET flycheck

* _shellcheck_ github repository <https://github.com/koalaman/shellcheck>. It
is also available in _pacman_. Easy install.
* This page <https://mywiki.wooledge.org/Bashism> is an attempt to list some
of the most common bashisms, i.e. features not defined by POSIX (won't work in
dash, or general _/bin/sh_).
* Helpful tips <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DashAsBinSh#local>.

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?15799>

  Message sent via Savannah