Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:42:52 +0200 (CEST)

   > > Most Wiki are bad since they require people to have network
   > > access to be able to edit them, and a web browser; this
   > > includes DokuWiki.  I'd rather see ikiwiki or similar which
   > > stores files as plain text, which you can put into a CVS
   > > repository or similar.

   > I'm not opposed to using ikiwiki. It would have the advantage of
   > sharing the same markup syntax with the Hurd wiki. I'll download
   > ikiwikie today and take a look at it. I already have an SVN
   > repository on that box for it to use. However, I don't see how it
   > will help someone with no net access. Unless you're going to come
   > by my office and physically access the server, you'll still need
   > net access to get to SVN.

   The point is that you can check out the repository while you are
   online, then work on the files offline, and check in your changes
   once you are online again.

   Of course, this gets hairy if you are working on multiple unrelated
   changes before getting online again. It works much better with a
   distributed VCS: You can just check in all your changes
   individually to your local repository, and then push them to origin
   in one go once you are online again. That's why we are using git
   for the Hurd wiki instead of CVS or SVN.

For what it is worth, ikiwiki is VCS agnositc, one could use git for
it.