Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: R. Steven Rainwater
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 15:02:41 -0500

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 10:00, Michael Heath wrote:
> It sounds like said wiki would mostly be about a GNU-with-Linux
> releasable system. Most people on this list have supported/agreed with
> that idea (only one person has voiced a negative opinion, I think).
> The thing is, this is such a controversial idea/switch that it really
> needs a lot of widespread consensus before we can comfortably move
> forward with the idea.

There's no condition on my offer of setting up a wiki for GNU OS. If the
Linux kernel idea sounds like a winner to people, great. If not, let's
go ahead with a Hurd kernel. After talking with some of the Hurd people
on IRC, I'm beginning to think gnumach may not be in as bad shape as I
thought from some of the posts on this list. Either way, I just want to
see things start moving again.

I think 90% of the work done on the Wiki will be the same, regardless of
the kernel used. Initially I want to collect all the existing
information on work that's already been done. Then we need to start
planning a release; establish a package list, determine some realistic
objectives, set a schedule, and then start trying to do some builds and
testing...

-Steve