Re: A proposed Roadmap

From: R. Steven Rainwater
Subject: Re: A proposed Roadmap
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 14:40:04 -0500

On Sun, 2007-09-09 at 04:02, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> > I can set up a DokuWiki site for the GNU OS on the box where
> > I host Advogato if it sounds like a good idea.
>
> Most Wiki are bad since they require people to have network
> access to be able to edit them, and a web browser; this
> includes DokuWiki.  I'd rather see ikiwiki or similar which
> stores files as plain text, which you can put into a CVS
> repository or similar.

I'm not opposed to using ikiwiki. It would have the advantage of sharing
the same markup syntax with the Hurd wiki. I'll download ikiwikie today
and take a look at it. I already have an SVN repository on that box for
it to use. However, I don't see how it will help someone with no net
access. Unless you're going to come by my office and physically access
the server, you'll still need net access to get to SVN.

DokuWiki also stores its files as plain text, incidently. It relies on
RCS for versioning.

-Steve