Re: chroot issues and http://tri-ceps.blogspot.com/2007/07/theory-of-fil

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: chroot issues and http://tri-ceps.blogspot.com/2007/07/theory-of-filesystem-relativity .html
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:42:48 +0200 (CEST)

       I think people are concentrating on the outdated chroot model far to
       much.  The Hurd already has a immensly secure way to create a secure
       box from which one cannot escape, it is called a sub-hurd.

   It would be useful to make a precise proposal to eliminate chroot as a
   mechanism and use sub-hurds to do the same job.  Then people could look
   for flaws in it and we could see if it really works.

I'm not sure what such a proposal would look like, or how one would
find flaws in it.  A sub-hurd is a completely seperate system running
within a system.  It has a completely seperate space, and does not
share anything with the host system, not even devices (hence the need
to somehow poke holes in a sub-hurd so devices can be shared).

It is like emulating a system within a system, but without emulating
the hardware.  Where as a chroot simply changes where / is located (in
very simplistic terms).