Re: question about historical GNU System releases

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: question about historical GNU System releases
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 19:54:17 +0200 (CEST)

   > Well, I don't know, but I assume that ams stopped working and
   > Marcus appeared and did the things, which turned out to become
   > Debian/Hurd.

   AFAIK Alfred wasn't around yet at that time. He certainly wasn't
   responsible for the 0.2 release.

Bushnell made the 0.2 and 0.0 releases, 0.1 never existed.

   > Actually there would be (at least thats what ams says) not that
   > much difference from a GNU 0.2 release (1997) or a GNU 0.3
   > release (2007).  It would include nearly the same amount of
   > packages and the installation would be the same. Although many
   > packages would be up to date there would be no real difference in
   > system behaviour.

   No, that's wrong. What Alfred is claiming is that there would be
   not much difference between the latest *snapshot* of GNU -- which
   he released at the beginning of 2006 IIRC -- and a new snapshot
   made now.  (IMHO that's not true BTW; there were some pretty
   relevant improvements.  But well...)

Could you point them out to me?  Maybe we should make a new one in
that case.