Re: Status

From: प्रव ीण् ए (Praveen A)
Subject: Re: Status
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:47:14 +0530

2006/6/13, Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
    The functionality we want in stowfs is the functionality of dpkg (dpkg
    reports if any dependencies are not resolved to any program using it),
    not apt-get.

I agree.

I have been following these discussions and got a clearer picture of where we stand with respect to packaging. The idea I had with Universal package Manager  ( http://hurd.in/bin/view/Hurd/UniversalPackageManager ) was implementing apt-get in filesystem. May be I failed to express what I thought about it before.

* So we will be using stowfs as backend.
* UPM will implement apt-get, emerge, yum functionality on top of stowfs

May be it isn't a top priority now and we can focus on stowfs and apt-get on top of it first and think about it once we have the basic setup.

Why I feeel apt-get could be implemented in filesystem is beacuse the flexibility hurd provide in implementing filesystems.

Happy hacking
Praveen

--
"Value your freedom, or you will lose it, teaches history.
`Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn."