Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnu.org "Free GNU/Linux distributions" list update

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnu.org "Free GNU/Linux distributions" list updates
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2017 23:28:58 +0300

On Fri, Aug 04, 2017 at 11:03:43AM -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> a few months ago, i discussed some updates that should be made to the
> "Free GNU/Linux distributions" page on gnu.org with donaldr on the IRC
>
> https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>
> he asked me to remind him via email and i since took the time to
> thoroughly review the status of all of the listed distros and discovered
> this mailing list in the process - so i will post my report here instead
>

> === Ututo ===
>
> the listing for ututo should be changed because the latest version of
> ututo is based on ubuntu rather than gentoo as with previous versions -
> i wrote about this to them asking how they would like the wording to
> read and Diego Saravia answered that they are planning a new version but
> are not convinced to stay based on ubuntu and that it would be best if
> the listing read like this:
>
>   Ututo-S is a GNU/Linux 100% free distribution.  It was the first fully
> free GNU/Linux system recognized by the GNU Project.
>

> === Blag ===
>
> the only one with a critical issue that could not be resolved was blag -
> the download links on their website are broken so there is actually no
> OS available - i wrote to their mailing list but there has been no
> response after nearly a month
>
> https://lists.aktivix.org/pipermail/blag-whereto/2017-July/002749.html
>
> this issue could perhaps be resolved though because the broken links are
> to fsf.org
>
> * ftp://blag.fsf.org/140000/en/iso/Blag-140k-i686.iso
> * ftp://blag.fsf.org/140000/en/iso/Blag-140k-x86_64.iso
>
> perhaps the FSF still has a copy of the ISOs somewhere that could be
> restored - in any case it should probably be considered to remove blag
> from the list on the count of the project being apparently abandoned

That is nice review and good points shall be taken
so that free distributions actually get attention,
and that page is not there just formally, but also
practically.

If links were missing, it means just nobody could
download that distribution. And I am often
referring people to that page, but did not check
the links.

Those third party websites shall be reminded to
update their information.

Jean