Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnu.org "Free GNU/Linux distributions" list update

From: Henry Jensen
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] gnu.org "Free GNU/Linux distributions" list updates
Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2017 16:39:04 +0200

Hello Jean,

Am Sun, 6 Aug 2017 11:02:20 +0300
schrieb Jean Louis <address@hidden>:

> I know there is email address for licensing,
> webmasters are webmasters.

Yes, but the page clearly states:

"If you maintain a distibution that follows the Free System
Distribution Guidelines and would like to be listed here, please write
to <address@hidden>"

If this is wrong then it should be corrected.

> When preparing any application, you do not want to
> give a burden to the reviewer, you want to prepare
> and demonstrate those factors that reviewer wants
> to see.
>
> For example, if you are using Linux libre, you
> should state it so, and not wait for reviewer to
> find it out hyrself.
>
> Maybe you want to demonstrate what you changed in
> the Linux libre kernel.

Since version 14.2 we are not using the GNU linux-libre kernel any more.
We are using Debian's de-blobbing mechanism instead, like it is stated
at [1] and technically explained in detail at [2]

> Apart from those already endorsed distributions,
> in my opinion, the new distributions shall have
> better list of packages, to quickly compare the
> packages or software with already known libre
> issues in other distributions.
>
> I could not find a list of packages or software
> that Conochaet OS is distributing. Maybe you can
> send me the list? Or maybe you can quickly create
> a page with such list?

Yes, it is at [3]

> On your website, I would also prefer to see more
> explanation on 4 freedoms and meaning of free
> software, so that website teaches people.

It is there at [4] and [1]

> I also did not see much references to licenses.

I am not sure what you mean by "references to licenses".

> When I read guidelines, I also do not see the
> option, or clear and specific way to report
> problems of nonfree software that is found
> eventually. Something like a bug tracking.

Our bug tracking system was at gna.org. Since Gna services were shut
down recently we haven't a bug tracking system anymore (we also lost
our mailing list). Of course, there is still the possibility to report
bugs via mail. However, the need of a bug tracking system isn't a
requirement as far as the FSDG goes.

Greetings,

Henry

[1] https://connochaetos.org/wiki/docs/fully-free-what-does-it-mean