Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal

From: Aaron Bentley
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Potential flaw in patch-log pruning in proposal
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2004 12:59:45 -0500

Matthew Dempsky wrote:
For what it's worth, patch-7 was generated by star-merging
address@hidden/tla--get-changeset-fix--1.3.  Presumably under
the modifications to the process Tom has recommended, you would be
able to additionally know that.  (Right now that's not evident,
however.)

I expect the necessary changes can be made by simply commiting a patch
to add =merges with all the versions I've merged patches from

If =merges lists address@hidden/tlasrc--devel--0.2, I'll be screwed.

If patch-7 added address@hidden/tla--get-changeset-fix--1.3 to =merges, I could:
1. download the changeset for patch-7,
2. find out that it added address@hidden/tla--get-changeset-fix--1.3
3. download the patchlogs for address@hidden/tla--get-changeset-fix--1.3
4. determine that they merged patches that are already present in the tree.

It would be better if =merged listed the actual revisions merged.

It would be *much* better if there was a header in the patch-7 that listed the revisions that had been merged, because then we could just download the patchlog instead of downloading and parsing the changeset.

So it's a crying shame that we have such a header already, with tool support and everything, but the header's been subverted.

Now, it's too late to add anything to =merges. It's not reasonable for me to consult a later revision of tla--devo--1.3 to determine whether to replay patch-7.

, or if
it's necessary to know in the individual patches I can undo all the
work I've done right now and remerge them.

That would be great.  I'm sorry that you're stuck in the middle of this.

Aaron