Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 21:24:55 -0700

On Oct 18, 2004, at 17:19, John Meinel wrote:

How do you handle this for CVS? Or is it just that ctags knows about CVS directories and ignores them?

Well, the easy answer is that I don't use CVS for anything anymore. :) But when I did, there was rarely anything in a CVS directory that was of interest to ctags or grep or anything else I used. But I always thought it was pretty annoying there, too. It makes no sense for the to have used a CVS status directory that was so intrusive.

I was thinking about what was said that find * -name ... | xargs gets replaced by tla inventory.

But find * also has problems with CVS/SVN, etc. In fact, if you run it in any directory below you will still go into hidden directories.

I've not used subversion, and really have no interest in it. I used CVS for a long time, but it was a pain. Things are getting better, and whenever I can think of a way to make things ever-so-slightly better, I'll bring it up.

I always work around it with:

find . ! -path "*{arch}*" -name .... | xargs

        That does seem to help some, but it's just another workaround.

But I also tend to work in trees with many nested projects, so I don't have just one top-level directory.

Heck I just looked in the man page and I think:

ctags -R . --exclude="*{arch}*"
actually this also works, but if you have a strange hierarchy it might fail:

ctags -R . --exclude="*arch*"

This one does have the advantage of ignoring .arch-inventory and .arch-ids as well, though probably ctags wouldn't understand those files and ignores them anyway.

This is another workaround with a different syntax. Perhaps I should've used gnu grep as an example instead, since (at least in my manpage), there is no --exclude functionality. I'm not convinced that having the --exclude functionality in every application would even be all that desirable, but having to use it all the time seems like it would.

Now that all that is said, I personally don't care whether it is .arch, or {arch}. I know when I first started I thought .arch would have been better. But now, I don't really care. I think {arch} stands out nicely when browsing. In Windows the .files aren't hidden anyway so there isn't much of a benefit there.

I think a lot of people have got themselves used to the idea that the {arch} directory will be there and accept it. Some say they even like it. I'm really not that interested in the browsing aspect, though. If I want to know that a directory is arch managed just by looking at it, then I can add my own flag there...one more informative for my needs (i.e. address@hidden or something).

I *really* like the ",blah" to mean this is a temporary file, and have started using it very frequently. I never use the + or =, though. I'm not really sure what is what (I think + is precious, ie not source, but I'm at a loss for =)

        I'm right with you on this one.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>