Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 20:36:40 -0400

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 07:19:11PM -0500, John Meinel wrote:
> I *really* like the ",blah" to mean this is a temporary file, and have
> started using it very frequently. I never use the + or =, though. I'm
> not really sure what is what (I think + is precious, ie not source, but
> I'm at a loss for =)

Yeah, for general (non-necessarily-arch-related) use, ",file" is the golden
one (I actually used it before I used arch, apparently having picked up the
habit from the same place Tom did, but completely forgot about all the
conventions except for ",foo").

"+file" can be annoying because of vi/more, but it is handy for using with
arch: basically anytime you want to make a non-temporary but non-source file
in an arch project tree, use "+foo".  E.g., if I want to save my changes for
hacking on another day, I do `tla undo -o +admirable-hacks.cset', and
tree-lint etc will completely ignore it.  [Thus the name "precious" -- it's
like ",foo" but for more precious files ... ]

-Miles
--
Any man who is a triangle, has thee right, when in Cartesian Space, to
have angles, which when summed, come to know more, nor no less, than