Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:59:08 -0500

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
"Adrian" == Adrian Irving-Beer <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

arch should provide binary semantics for objects it manages,
attributes for each object, and a way to plug in an attribute-
dependent codec on the client.  Toolchains/platforms/projects should
provide their own codecs, which the arch project could accept as
"contrib" and maintain a library, but should not "support" as part of
arch.

Support for the codec library as a related project is up to the arch
maintainers, and would be desirable.  I'm just saying that a project
using arch should decide what the archival file format should be, and
arch should serve those files up byte-for-byte identical to the
archive content, until it gets to the codec.  After that it's up to
project policy, and mistakes in codec usage aren't arch bugs _by
definition_.  Separation of responsibility and all that.

I agree. I prefer arch to give me back the same file I gave it. And layer on top of that the semantics. For instance, it would be possible to have a pre-commit hook that would go into the newly formed ,,commit directory, and change all the .patch files to remove CR/LF, and have a post update/get script that would add CR/LF back. You just have to take a lot of care to only do the correct files.

That's why the precommit hook script just refuses to commit if a file endings are not what it likes. You can always change it's mind, or you can go run dos2unix/unix2dos/whatever to make it run correctly.

Is this good for anyone who runs tla? Probably not, but for people like me, it's really what I prefer. I like being in control, and knowing that arch won't mess with my files. What I give it is what I get back.

I guess I've just been bitten by someone checking a CR/LF file in unix mode, and then the checkout has all CR/LF/LF, not pretty.

That, or someone forgets to set the binary flag, and checks in a .png file. Again, not something that comes out correct on the other side.

John
=:->