Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling

From: tomas
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] missing feature: text file handling
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 2004 09:44:27 +0200

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 10:03:16AM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> [...]

[cross-platformness taking some time and much thought]

> Neither tla nor the platform is the problem; it's the rest of the
> toolchain. [...]

> arch should provide binary semantics for objects it manages,
> attributes for each object, and a way to plug in an attribute-
> dependent codec on the client.  Toolchains/platforms/projects should
> provide their own codecs, [...]

That's more or less what I was trying to say. Only you manage much better
to put it into intelligible words :-)

And I think those external codecs should be able to use the infrastructure
of the archive attributes as, for example: ``this is an MSVC project file''.
The specific codec should be able to carve out some sub-space of attribute
name space for its purposes.

Regards

-- tomás