[Gnu-arch-users] merge conflicts

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] merge conflicts
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 12:55:33 +1000

The wiki says:

"Handling conflicts
You can use the --three-way or -t option to star-merge to save merge
conflicts as diff3 conflict markers, in way similar to what CVS does.

More generally, some editors have facilities to Process *.rej files.
This is more general because star-merge is only applicable when merging
revisions which share a common ancestor."

Is it possible to get merges done with conflicts in the same way as
Aegis provides? It's been 2.5-3 years, but I'll explain my memory of it:

Aegis would create a file, based on the two input files (pristine,
changed), which was a full file that contained diff sections (when there
were conflicts) such as:

  normal lines within the file
<<< LINE NUMBER
  old
  lines
===
  new
  lines

or something like that. The point being, that because the conflicted
diff sections were embedded in the full file, and therefore the file
obviously wouldn't compile, all one had to do was open the file that
didn't compile, and manually cut/change the conflict sections, one by
one, then save the file, and hope it compiled properly this time.

This was a very simple way to fix conflicts, not requiring any special
diff/merge tools - just open the file in your favourite editor, and
there in the file were the old and new (conflicting) sections, amongst
the rest of the file.

Really easy to see what's going on.

Really easy to choose (or change) the bits that need fixing.

Really easy to just save when done, and recompile/test afterwards.

It might just be the right combination of piping commands already, but
I'd be greateful if someone can show me how to achieve this. It's
something I consider "Just Works" in a good way, is easy to explain to
others, doesn't require special tools, etc.

tia
zen

--
Homepage: http://www.soulsound.net/
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.