[Gnu-arch-users] make vs ?

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] make vs ?
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:15:10 +1000

I am just starting to reach the point where something more than shell
scripts will likely be useful to me, in my build process.

I currently have 9 scripts, like build, build-media-jar, clean, etc.

There is now a little bit of overlap, and some common idioms arising in
these scripts (test for file/dir existence, create if needed) that are
clearly intended to be served well/ more consistently by make.

So, I've been hearing snippets of 'pika' and other things that may
'one day' provide alternative(s) to make.

Any ideas at all (besides When it's ready) when this stuff might be
explored?

My point is, if it is let's say in the next few months, I'd consider
holding out and living with my scripts a little longer;
alternatively, recommendations for anything better;
alternatively, I'll start to learn GNU Make.

I've looked (barely) at ant (Java), however the XML config/ script seems
to be a little, ... verbose. If someone can compare make with ant, that
would be useful.

tia
zen

--
Homepage: http://www.soulsound.net/
Please respect the confidentiality of this email as sensibly warranted.