Re: [Gnu-arch-users] The name of this mailing list is misleading

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2004 10:16:00 +0900

    Thomas> Yet the help list has already received spam.

Of course it has.  80%-90% of all mail traffic these days is said to
be spam (on the Mailman lists by people who are known to usually know
what they're talking about, so I believe it).

    > It's amazingly infuriating as a user if you post a bug report or
    > whatever, and get back a "your message was rejected/held because
    > you're not a subscriber"

    Thomas> I'm not so sure it is justifiably amazingly infuriating
    Thomas> since the work arounds are so plentiful and simple.

Justifiable or not, it will reduce the number of reports you get.
Some desktop-oriented projects care about those reports; many users
are non-computing types, and something that bothers someone who can't
find a "simple workaround" is a bug.  Arch may not care about those
reports, since someone who can't work around Mailman-style moderation
can probably still do an amazing amount of damage with star-merge.

    Thomas> I have made a note to see if I can set non-subscriber
    Thomas> messages to be outright rejected since, as you note, the
    Thomas> supposed moderation of them is essentially a polite
    Thomas> fiction.

It doesn't need to be, if the maintainer makes it an issue.  It is
usually possible to find reliable non-developer users to help with
moderation.