Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW POLICIES (draft)

From: Andrew Suffield
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] NEW POLICIES (draft)
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 2004 02:05:42 +0100

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 05:55:08PM -0700, Thomas Lord wrote:
>     > I've deliberately avoided introducing any system-specific names into
>     > the interface so far, and I'd like to keep it that way; anything else
>     > is useless diversity. We don't *need* BugGoo-Bug and Bugzilla-Bug and
>     > Debbugs-Bug, and it would be a significant impediment to tools which
>     > don't care what system you're using. Any non-server-side tool that
>     > works for BugGoo should also work for just about anything else.
>
>     > A 'Bug' header that takes an arbitrary string is *at least* as useful
>     > as a 'Keywords' header that takes an arbitrary string, and almost
>     > certainly more so.
>
> That the "Keywords" header is ill-defined is not a reason to emulate
> it by adding more ill-defined headers :-)
>
> What if I am using not one but *two* bug systems, as one might expect
> at a shop using arch/buggoo internally to import upstream projects
> which use cvs/bugzilla?

Option 1: make up your own headers, and translate them appropriately
in your submission scripts.

Option 2: use two different branches.

Option 3: fully specify the bug names such that it's clear which one
you're referring to.

Option 4: (my preference) gateway bugzilla via buggoo. It has an
interface and partially-completed code whereby every bugzilla bug can
also be given a buggoo name (semi- or fully-automatically), and
changes can be propagated in both directions (this is more-completed
for debbugs; I hate bugzilla and am not likely to complete that in the
near future, having no desire to work with the thing; expect to see
debbugs interaction deployed here sometime in the next few
months). Then just use the buggoo names for everything.

>     >> I would actually like to archive, for casual contributions, the
>     >> submitters signed archive.
>
>     > Why?
>
> To have as accurate and complete and crypotgraphically verifiable a
> record of the origins of the code as is practical.

Archiving is not my problem. I don't see why you need to work through
this archive rather than via an intermediate branch; the two things
can (and should) work independently.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |