Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows todo list? [Hey Tom]

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] windows todo list? [Hey Tom]
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 22:31:36 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Zenaan Harkness <address@hidden>

    > Is the path compression work, to make tla work on Windows, going
    > to become part of tla mainline? If so, what's a rough timeline?

The answer to both questions is unclear.

Absolutely and without compromise: we need good windows support.  I
strongly suspect taht the current path compression work is the right
direction.  It's not that windows isn't evil or doesn't suck (it is
and does) --- it's just that arch is no small part of a bridge away
from the vally of death known as windows.   We can play nicely with
windows to some tiny by highly tactical degrees just to get all of our
fellow engineers on compatible pages.

There is, however, no timeline or proactive plan.  My *tentative*
judgement as GNU maintainer is that good windows support is likely
(far from guaranteed but this is where my wager is) to get paid for
by someone.   Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying "I know
of some dealings in a back room that will probably solve the windows
portability foo" (because I don't know of any such dealings).   I'm
just guessing, based on feedback from all over the map, that someone
with some pursetrings will pony up for it, hence I'm trying to not let
the current work die, to draw some attention to it, to encourage
it.....   yeah, the project is a little slow in this area but it's not
at all lost.