Re: [Gnu-arch-users] CVS gateway using cscvs -- tags and branches?

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] CVS gateway using cscvs -- tags and branches?
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 15:15:01 +1200

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:37:45 -0500, Charles Duffy <address@hidden> wrote:
> CSCVS tries to construct a mapping of tag names to changeset revisions.
> It doesn't try hard enough, and creates tags on every branch (not only
> the branches they make sense for), so you need to know what branch a tag
> was created for to get output that makes sense.
>
> This can be accessed via "cscvs cache -B", or by directly using sqlite
> to read the database cscvs constructs at CVS/Catalog.sqlite.

Is that the information that I see when I call cscvs log -PBRANCH ? My
plan was to do some lightweight (and not strictly correct) parsing of
that output. Now I am looking at the DB structure.

It seems that in cscvs's simplified view, a tag maps to a changeset.
That is good enough for me. The question, it turns to be, is whether
Arch gives me a means to give a symbolic name to a revision.

> Finally, note that Robert Collins is working on a new and improved CSCVS
> that should be vastly better than preceding versions in terms of, among
> other things, accuracy of output. Using his version would be a Good
> Thing.

What is the official source for this version? The wiki points me to
http://people.initd.org which was unavailable the last few days
(available now, though).

cheers,

martin