[Gnu-arch-users] Re: CVS gateway using cscvs -- tags and branches?

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: CVS gateway using cscvs -- tags and branches?
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 2004 17:30:17 +1200

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:16:18 +0900, Miles Bader <address@hidden> wrote:
> Martin Langhoff <address@hidden> writes:
> > As you can see, non-branch cvs tags are not addressed, and I find that
> > troubling.  Reading through the wiki, I can't find any reference to
> > anything that looks like good old cvs tagging. The practice, as I see it,
> > is to refer to patchsets (repo/project--branch--version--patchset-NN) as
> > a lightweight means of refering to a particular point in the project
> > history.
>
> Yes; is this not sufficient?

Well, it probably is for a project run under Arch. Using CVS, I _have_
found myself downgrading a file here and there (files that belonged to
larger changesets) because they broke something, and then tagging for
release/branch the 'known good' set of versions.

You can't do this with Arch, and it may be a good thing. I don't know.
In the scenario I've described, the proper thing should be to commit a
changeset backing out some changes.

> In any case, you have to keep in mind that arch and CVS are really very
> different, and you're simply not going to get a perfect gateway.

Hmmm. I am aiming for a limited, but usable, gateway. Basic branches
and tags would be nice to get going... ;)

cheers,

martin