Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: gnuarch 1.2.1 released! (reannouncement)

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: gnuarch 1.2.1 released! (reannouncement)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:35:57 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Aaron Bentley <address@hidden>

    > Miles Bader wrote:

    > > Is there any particular plan for the future relationship of these
    > > branches (Tom's and James'), and the bug system?

    > James will be maintaining 1.2 for the forseeable future.  Tom will be
    > looking a little farther out.

That's *roughly* right but a little misleading on at least two counts.

First, it's my job to sign off on FSF releases.   Hopefully, any
releases that jblack makes will become FSF releases, but there is
nothing that guarantees that.   Ideally, the filter between jblack
(and later pqm) and the FSF releases is contributing a stabilizing and
safety check.

    > Suffield's working on the patchqueue/voting system, but has been
    > rather busy and underequipped lately.  I'm a bit hazy on what
    > happens when the voting system is ready.

Jblack gets replaced by shell scripts, roughly.  At least one more
will have to join him in maintaining the devo branch since it takes at
least two voters to push through a patch.    Other than that, it
should be very similar to what jblack is doing.

(When I Say "Jblack gets replaced by shell scripts" I mean only the
part of Jblack that is acting as a PQM for his branch.   The other
parts of him, doing actual integration and review, can continue --
just that he'll end that work by sending PQM directives rather than
munging an archive directly.   At the same time, others of us can step
in and *also* do integration and review on that branch --- so jblack
won't have a unique role at that point.)