Re: [Gnu-arch-users] gnuarch 1.2.1 released! (reannouncement)

From: James Blackwell
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] gnuarch 1.2.1 released! (reannouncement)
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 05:46:10 -0400

In lists.arch.users, you wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-15 at 09:39 -0400, James Blackwell wrote:
>> I've just released tla-1.2.1. This is mostly a small fixes release, though
>> some useful stuff has gotten in:
>>
>> * Spaces support in filenames (done by cehteh, merged by Tom)
>
> Wait, does this support solve this issue?
>
> http://bugs.gnuarch.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=166

Only if Tom fixed it. I took Tom's base-0 - patch-28 without any sort of
review.

For the lazy, the bug reads thusly:

] I have a project that uses taglines, and one of the taglines contains
] the " character.  Before pika escaping, this character was stored
] literally everywhere.  With pika escaping, it is stored in changesets as
] \". This obviously breaks compatibility with older versions of tla, and
] can cause silent corruption.
]
] Why are we escaping file ids at all?

I haven't verified that this bug exists (by chance, did you?).

However, I'm willing to bet that cehteh and Tom would have done
something like this because the other tagging methods store files on
disk.

> This seems to me to be a very critical bug since it breaks backwards
> compatibility and will easily lead to corrupted archives.

Can you walk me through how the bug causes corruption, I'd think that
the worst we'd end up with is an otherwise unnecessary file delete/add